I have had problems logging on to blogger for months now. Joe bought me a new laptop for our anniversary and what do ya know, I'm able to log in again.
Things have definitely been busy around here. Sammy is nearing the end of what has been a frustrating and at times infuriating school year to say the least. We were fortunate that he had a very kind, compassionate and caring resource teacher that we just adore. I can't say the same about his Kindergarten teacher and I'm not even going to get started on how I feel about her. Sammy is over the moon that he only has a few more days of school left. Since his class doesn't do any sort of Kindergarten graduation we are throwing him a surprise party tomorrow at my parents house. His pepaw and memaw are bringing him a new computer, we got him a new computer desk with tons of educational games and his nanny and papaw got him a computer chair. His best friend may be coming, and there will be lots of food and fun. He has no clue that we have anything planned for this weekend. I cannot wait to see his face tomorrow.
He has struggled so hard this year with his anxiety and it's been hard on all of us. He has also had a LOT of sickness this year which has been really rough. We have done fairly well at being able to help Sammy with certain aspects of his Autism but his anxiety was something that we just couldn't seem to break through and help him with. We got him in with a new therapist who we really like and she suggested medication for his anxiety. Before I had Sammy I always questioned parents decisions to medicate their children. It seems like now days people are quick to medicate their kids for anything and everything. So Joe and I struggled with the decision of medicating Sammy for his anxiety. We tried coping techniques, breathing exercises and everything else that had been suggested to us or that we had researched but nothing helped to ease his anxiety. His anxiety was starting to consume every aspect of his life and it has been hard to see him like this. After a lot of thought and consideration we felt it was cruel to let him continue to be anxiety ridden without having explored all possible avenues. Since being on a low dose of medicine he has shown a LOT of improvement. His overall disposition is better, he is happier and less anxious. He doesn't seem as overwhelmed and nervous and for him I think we made the right decision.
I think we will continue to see improvements as far as his anxiety goes. I was worried about how he would handle going to new school in the fall but he is sooooo excited. His excitement helps ease my mind and worry about how he'll transition. I just hope that the kids and teachers are kinder and more compassionate. It's sad that this is just the start of his school years and already myself along with his bests friends mom are just at our wits end with the whole school experience. I've had a few people ask me if I've considered home schooling and it's a personal decision for every family and it's personally for me something I don't agree with. I understand WHY people chose to do it, but it's definitely not for us and not something I can say that I would ever chose to do. I'm not up for debating why I feel the way that I do, but again it's a personal choice and while it may be right for some families it's not right for our family.
Friday, May 18, 2012
It's Been Awhile
Posted by Momma Jones at Friday, May 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I love reading your blogs :) So glad to hear Sammy is doing well!!
Post a Comment