WARNING!!! The link I'm posting is about a very serious and tragic subject and does talk about the deaths of children . If you are easily bothered then you can bypass the link and read my blog.
LIVES LOST TO AUTISM!!!!!
As I was reading some of the blogs on the posted link it really got me to thinking how fortunate I am that Sammy isn't a wandering Autistic. He knows danger and makes sure he is at all times with an adult. Sometimes I forget how old Sammy is because he acts a lot more mature than his age but we still have to be vigilant and cautious because you just never know what could happen.
One blog in particular reminded me of the little 10 year old boy next door to us. He too is high functioning but not in the same way that Sammy is. This little boy has more severe issues than Sammy does and I worry about him. I've talked to his mom a few times in passing and they are very nice people but it seems as if the father doesn't really know how to handle the little boy. Often times I will hear him melting down only to see him running out the door and down the street. Usually a while later the mother will start walking down the road to look for him. He doesn't go very far and is normally found at the tennis court. I have seen him outside unsupervised at 6 a.m playing in the street. Most 10 year old's play outside without an adult but when you have a child on the spectrum they NEED to be supervised when outside especially if their favorite play spot is in the street.
Personally I don't let either of my kids outside unsupervised because it's dangerous but more so for an autistic child. I heard a car speeding through here this morning and all I could think of was, "what if the little boy next door was playing in the street". I saw him the other night at 8:30pm melting down and running up the street in the cold with his shorts and flip flops on. About 20 minutes later I saw his mom walking towards the tennis court carrying his jacket to him. At some point you HAVE to keep an eye on your child especially if they are prone to running outside and melting down in the street. Even when Sammy was little I had a chain lock up high on the door and then a hook and eye latch up even higher. I'm sure at 10 years old he can easily stand on something and unlock the door but at some point you will hear or see your child trying escape and stop them.
I have this fear that one day that little boy is going to be in the road having a meltdown or spinning in circles like he tends to do and then a car is going to come around the corner and run him over. I know the mom keeps the blinds open but you have to be out there because by the time you run outside it could be to late for your child.
If you have an Autistic child who likes to wander PLEASE put locks on your door and keep that child close. Even if you have to put multiple locks on your door do what you have to do to keep your kids safe. Have them supervised at all times while outside and please do not let them play in the road, not just Autistic kids but ALL kids. I know some people see taking these precautions as an inconvenience but in my opinion it's a minor inconvenience if it protects your child from harms way.
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Autism Tragedies
Posted by Momma Jones at Saturday, December 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment