When you have a special needs child you don't take the little things they do for granted. Simple tasks that most people don't think twice about with their children can be HUGE milestones for an autistic child.
I remember the first time Sammy decided to swing on the swings at the park. Swings were something that Sammy was fearful of. Even as early on as 8 months he would freak out in the baby swings and we would have to take him out. He wouldn't swing on a swing or even come near one. We didn't push it on him and it wasn't until early spring of this year that he finally warmed up to the idea and decided to try it.
I remember the tears flowing as I watched him cautiously sit on the swing and slowly swing back and forth. I know other parents were looking at me like I was crazy but for Sammy it was a HUGE deal and I didn't care what those other parents thought.
It took him a long time to get to that point and it took months of him walking around the swings and analyzing them before he wanted to try it on his own.
Sure we would sit him in our laps and swing with him but him doing it on his own was a pretty big deal for him and us.
There are several online forums and boards that I frequent when I get the opportunity. It seemed that more and more I was noticing people griping about their children. Threads would be started with the titles, "why won't he/she shut up" or "why does my child have to talk ALL day long". Those threads really irked me because I longed to hear my child talk to me and others were complaining because their children were talking to much . I would think to myself, "be grateful that your child can talk to you and tell you they love you. Be thankful that your child has the ability to drive you nuts with their voice, and don't take for granted the fact that your child can tell you when he/she is hurt or sick because mine can't". Maybe I was more sensitive to those threads because at the time my child was mostly non-verbal.
Now I don't claim to be the perfect mother and there are days when my kids get on my nerves, but I never tire of hearing them talk because I know what it's like to NOT be able to hear the sweet voice of my child.
Sammy can ask me the same questions a million times and a million times I will give him the same answers. I'm thankful and grateful that he now has the ability to ask me questions and talk my ear off.
I've learned a lot over the years since having my son. The first one is not to be judgmental to that child in the store having a meltdown and screaming because you never know what is going on with that child.
Secondly I've learned not to care what others think. Should someone say something smart ass to me about my child who is experiencing sensory overload I either hand them a laminated card that explains that Sammy has autism and it tells a little bit about what autism is, or I just give them a verbal tongue lashing and that usually ends it pretty quickly.
Last but not least I've learned not to compare Sammy with what other children his own age are doing. It doesn't do anyone any good and it just makes me upset and sad for my son. Sammy is growing and learning at a pace which works for him and that's okay.
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Taking Things For Granted
Posted by Momma Jones at Wednesday, November 03, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment