BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Blogger Templates »

Monday, November 15, 2010

5 years

It hardly seems real that we are getting ready to celebrate Sammy's 5th birthday. 
In such a short time our little boy has been through so much and has touched many people.  This is the first year that he has really been able to tell us what he wants for his birthday and what kind of party he wants.

Other than his 1st birthday,  his parties have been very small only consisting of grandparents as guests.  His sensory just couldn't handle a big party situation so we would keep it small for him and he loved it. 
Last year a friend of his had a roller skating birthday party and Sammy really enjoyed it.  It was the first party he had ever attended due to his sensory issues.  When we discussed his 5th birthday he immediately said he wanted a skating party like the one his friend had.  We've been discussing his birthday and the holidays and the only thing he has told he wants is solar system stuff or items relating to geography.   He said he only wanted 2 toys,  Stinky The Garbage Truck and foam letters and numbers lol.   All of which he'll be getting.


It's just so hard to believe that in a couple of weeks my sweet baby boy will be turning 5.  
These first 5 years have been a roller coaster ride of emotions.  Motherhood has been so much more than I ever thought it would be,  especially having a child on the spectrum.  It puts a lot of things in perspective and makes you see the world in a totally different way.  While I'll never be able to see the world through my sons eyes,  I do have a different take on things.  My thought process is much different now than it once was.
My son has taught me so much about life, patience, love, hard work and dedication.    

He has come such a long way and it's amazing to watch him grow and learn.  He's such a bright spot in our lives.
I think back to how things were 2 years ago and I just can't believe the difference.   2 years ago he could say very few words,  he wouldn't play with other children,  he would have never ending days of meltdowns and tantrums.  Now he's like a different child.  He still has meltdowns on occasions but nothing like what we were going through 2 years ago.  He plays with the other kids in school,  he INITIATES play and now he talks up a storm.  We still have lots of challenges and hurdles but he's made remarkable progress.
I remember day after day going to bed frustrated and crying because I was so mentally worn down from dealing with a day of meltdowns, sensory overload and frustration on top of the other issues and stress of daily life.  
No matter how hard it was on me I had to remember that it was 10 times harder on him.

I'm just so incredibly proud of everything he has accomplished.  He has worked very hard to get where he is today and words can't express how proud I am of him.
He truly is a remarkable little boy and I cannot wait to share his 5th birthday with our family and friends.  It's going to be a very special day to celebrate the life of a very special child.

                                                                



0 comments: