BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Blogger Templates »

Friday, September 2, 2011

Looking Beyond The Autism

Last weekend was the S.E.A Beyond Tomorrow Fundraiser and they had a great turn out.  I was able to sell some of my handmade boutique style hair bows to help raise money for the cause and it was a very enjoyable evening.  Angela Collier did a phenomenal job of putting this event together and she truly is an amazing person for all she does in the Autism community.
The band was awesome but what was most impressive was the talent that these young adults have.  Everything from playing the violin to painting.  I wish I had half the talent that some of these kids have.  Seeing some of the paintings were just mind blowing.  So many people think that children and adults on the spectrum are weird, and couldn't possibly have anything useful to contribute to society but nothing could be further from the truth.


Yeah, those on the spectrum may not get social ques, seem quirky or even odd to those who don't understand but ya know,  their intellect and talent more than make up for that.  Autism isn't a handicap,  it's just individuals who think, learn and see things differently than the rest of us and we can learn so much from them.  Sammy can look at things and almost immediately find something in what he's looking at that will resemble a number to him.  Sometimes it's harder for me to find the number in what he sees but he can point it out instantly and he thinks I'm the odd one for not seeing it quicker lol.  
It's so funny how people think that those on the spectrum are, "odd" but to the people on the spectrum it's those other people who are odd.  The people who can't see things the way they do.  They can see beauty in something that you and I might not be able to see beauty in.  It's always amazing how those on the spectrum can find inspiration in the things that most people would find uninspiring.   

I've seen so many people look at someone on the spectrum and make comments about how, "weird" or "off" they seem.   When you have a child or someone close to you on the spectrum you don't look at people like that.  When I was at the fundraiser I didn't see anyone odd, different, or weird.  I saw brilliant, talented, kind, helpful young adults who have TONS of great things to offer to this world.  There is nothing wrong with individuals who learn, think, feel, and see things differently than the majority of people out there.   Seeing those young adults at the fundraiser gave me hope for Sammy as he gets older.  It was helpful to me to see teenagers on the spectrum because I've only been exposed to young children on the spectrum so it gave me a little insight into the future with Sammy.  I know it's going to be a hard road with Sammy and I know we will have harder obstacles and challenges to face as he gets older.  This new school year has already proven to be challenging but I know we will be okay.

0 comments: